Re: approaching disgustipation

Subject: Re: approaching disgustipation
From: Dave Comeau (dave@evsdesigns.com)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 10:29:29 MDT

I would have to disagree. I too ordered the day it was released,
received a bad CD (sounded bizarre, a bad CD?!?), was shipped a
replacement CD that also didn't work. Well, it worked once for one
package install, and refused to install any other packages, then
refused to install anything. My third CD finally allowed me to
install whatever I wanted, but only on my powercomputing. My 7500
hates it and won't read the CD, so I just swapped hard drives and
installed what I wanted from the powercomputing. I tried 2 CD rom
drives on the 7500 too, which had no problem installing linux PPC
from a home burned cdrom. It looks to me like whoever is producing
these CDs does not know what they are doing. I mean, I'm glad
Terrasoft shipped me 2 CDs, but should it come to that? And the one
that 'works' only works on my unsupported machine. Not trying to
badmouth Terrasoft, I think the software is great. I just would have
been a lot happier if I received a working CD the first or second
time.

Oh yeah, you should email shipping at Terrasoft, they should send you
out a replacement CD without a problem. At least that's what I did.

-Dave Comeau

>On Friday 22 June 2001 11:49, David Gehrig wrote:
> > I ordered YDL 2.0 the very day it came out, and got a nice boxed set
> > including a bad install disk. After a few complaints, I was sent a new
> > install disk, which was equally bad.
>
>Under similar circumstances I would tend to question something other than the
>quality of the YDL CDs from TSS. But this is just because I find that usually
>the problem is something simple. TSS producing two bad CDs and sending them
>to the same person seems unlikely to me, if we do not have a rash of people
>complaining that their CDs are bad.
>
>I don't know enough about your setup to know what questions to ask, but can
>you mount the CD under Mac OS, or on another Linux machine? Does the specific
>CD-ROM you used it in have trouble with other discs? Is the hardware setup
>fairly non-standard so that we might suspect a driver is the issue? What
>exactly are you doing that produces an error, and what kind of error?
>
>My own experience with YDL CS 1.2 and YDL2 compared against, say, Red Hat on
>x86 or Debian on PPC, have left me with the impression that TSS/YDL is one of
>the best Linux teams/distributions out there, well deserving of support and
>hopefully deserving of forgiveness and/or patience when frustration sets in.
>
>my $.02,
>michael.

970.453.8331
www.evsdesigns.com