PPP configuration and setuid bits (Linux Newbie needs help)

Subject: PPP configuration and setuid bits (Linux Newbie needs help)
From: Dr. David Sterling (sterling@boulder.nist.gov)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 12:08:59 MDT

Hi, a few questions for those of you out there still playing with the
2.2.?? kernel that
YDL developer workstation installed.

First Question: What happened to 'linuxconf' in YDL 2.0 ? I was just
getting used to
it in CS 1.2.1 and now it's gone (or am I just not looking in the proper
place?)

After spending a few evening struggling with what I thought was a PPP
timeout
problem I finally broke down and booted up CS 1.2.1. Same machine, same
ISP,
ppp worked fine! Diff'ing the files in /etc/ppp and
/etc/sysconf/network-scripts
I discovered several glaring differences (default route was hosed,
persist option wrong,
DNS wrong). Also the syntax in the ifcfg-ppp0 files seems to have
changed...now
values are no longer surrounded in ""? Something seems fishy with the
Redhat
configuration tool (rp3-config?) (Dialup Config on the menus) in YDL
2.0. Has
anyone else had trouble with it? Worked fine for me in CS 1.2.1 but
seems to be
broken now.

I now have PPP up and running, but I noticed that 'telnet' and 'ftp'
report
"Hostname lookup failed" unless I'm root, though ping and ssh seem to be
able to resolve
names just fine for all users. A quick inspection reveals the setuid bit
is cleared on telnet and ftp
while it is set for ssh and ping. Should it be set for all internet
clients, and if so, why
didn't the installer do this?

As I'm new to Linux, I'd appreciate any comments from those of you with
more experience.

Thanks,

David