Re: Yellowdog Speed!!

Subject: Re: Yellowdog Speed!!
From: Rich Lafferty (rich@alcor.concordia.ca)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 15:34:10 MDT

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 01:52:59PM -0400, Robert Vogt IV (robert@arborhost.com) wrote:
> Richard,
>
> > Can we compare speed notes? G4, G3 etc ... may stand to one side for
> > this ...(G)
>
> FYI - bogomips stands for Bogus, Meaningless Indication of
> Performance. From what I understand, its used to calculate the delay loop
> at kernel boot time, and the information on the processor is available at
> /proc/cpuinfo.

Correct, and it *is* meaningless between classes of machines -- like,
say, between a 603 and a 750, let alone between a PPC and a
Pentium. It *is* reliable on a single machine (if you usually see
700 bogomips and then one boot shows 40, something's probably wrong)
and *possibly* reliable on one class of machines (if three of your G4s
report 700 and the fourth 40, something's probably wrong) but that's
about it.

On the 603, it's probably timing the delay loop off the 40MHz base
speed, not the 160MHz "end" speed. So the difference just means it's a
bad benchmark (and it's supposed to be a bad benchmark!).

  -Rich

--
 Montreal, Quebec, Canada   |  "Do not dangle the mouse by the cord or