Re: Screen resolution problems

Subject: Re: Screen resolution problems
From: Brian Durant (bdurant@peterlink.ru)
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 23:22:57 MDT

On 26/6/01 8:27, Tim Moran at tim@brickbros.com wrote: / den 26/6/01 8:27
skrev Tim Moran fra tim@brickbros.com følgende:

> I have just recently installed YDL 2.0 on my 8600/G3/400. This is my
> first experience with Linux and so far it has been extremely
> frustrating. I got my DSL up and working (with a router) but that's
> about all I could stand with such a teeny tiny screen resolution. My
> question is "how do I change my screen resolution?". I have an ATI
> Xclaim VR 128 (rage pro) and after the install and boot of YDL the
> screen must be 1200x1600 on my 17" Multiscan. I have tried the
> CTRL/ALT/+ or - but that does not work. I read a little on Xautoconfig4
> but have no clue how to go about doing this. I also have multiple
> monitors with my mac but have no idea if this is either supported or
> configurable under YDL. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

I'm not sure that you will get any answers on this list. It seems like they
can't be bothered with Linux newbies, unlike other "general" lists like Red
Hat. That's what a general list is for guys! I have experienced the same
problem as you and think that the solution lies in the advanced monitor
settings at installation. The manual does not cover this issue in detail for
some reason and I am unsure how to proceed.

In Mac OS 9.1, my resolution is set to 832 X 624 with a refresh rate of 75
Hz. Other recommended settings are as follows:

832 X 624 85 Hz
800 X 600 85 Hz
640 X 480 at 60 or 85 Hz
1024 X 768 at 60, 67, 74.9 or 85 Hz.

I have a Apple Multiple Scan 15AV Display and a Matrox graphics card that
YDL identifies as a Matrox VGA card. I am trying to install on a UMAX
Pulsar.

Cheers,

Brian