Re: yaboot was destroyed by Mac OS X

Subject: Re: yaboot was destroyed by Mac OS X
From: John Canning (john@pcc.com )
Date: Mon Jun 25 2001 - 23:47:24 MDT

On Tue Jun 26 00:24:23 2001 Ted Goranson wrote:

> John--
>
> This is incredibly helpful information. I have the same problem. Or
> it would be helpful if I knew my hda numbers. Is there a way to
> discover them from OS 9.1?

If you can find a version of pdisk that runs under OS 9.1, then yes,
it's quite easy.

If not, I suggest you go back to open firmware and try a different
command:

    boot hd:xx,yaboot

If you are dealing with a PowerBook, you will probably want to start
with 8 and work your way up to 11 or 12.

You can also boot off of the rescue CD (I think that's the tasty
moresels CD) and get into a limited shell and then poke around
using df (and maybe even pdisk). I did this a while ago, but forgot
the actual steps. I should find my CDs and document this properly.

Good luck!

John