Re: yaboot was destroyed by Mac OS X

Subject: Re: yaboot was destroyed by Mac OS X
From: perry phillips (pm_perry@pacbell.net)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 02:10:09 MDT

Hi All,

Uh, not to be a complainer, but seeing as so many people are nuking
their bootloader file using Mac OS X, it would be cool if YDL had a
note up about it. It's also possible to incur this problem doing a
hard reset (which I had to do when my Firewire ports got knocked out
on Install).

Anyway:

I found that I could NOT boot from OF using a command like "boot
hd:10,\\yaboot" or "boot hd:10,\\tbxi"? Neither worked for me even
though by bootloader partition (boot-device) is listed by "printenv"
Forth command as hd:10,\\tbxi. (G3 PB pismo-dual boot).

But as John said earlier:

I believe that Mac OS X reprograms open firmware. If you boot into
Open Firmware (reboot holding down option-ctrl-O-F), you can issue
these commands (compliments of Dan from Terra Soft):

     setenv boot-device hd:XX, ofboot,b
     reset-all

Be sure to change XX to the number of your boot device (9 by
your message).

-->haven't tried it, but certainly worth a try before an install from
scratch! I would be interested in hearing if anyone succeeds trying
this reset.

cheers,
Perry