Re: yaboot was destroyed by Mac OS X

Subject: Re: yaboot was destroyed by Mac OS X
From: Eric Woods (woodse@alum.rpi.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 08:08:28 MDT

At 04:10 AM 6/26/2001, perry phillips wrote:
>I found that I could NOT boot from OF using a command like "boot
>hd:10,\\yaboot" or "boot hd:10,\\tbxi"? Neither worked for me even
>though by bootloader partition (boot-device) is listed by "printenv" Forth
>command as hd:10,\\tbxi. (G3 PB pismo-dual boot).

Your syntax is ever-so-slightly off, in the second instance. Try "boot
hd:10,\\:tbxi" -- though I don't know if that will boot yaboot. It
certainly will boot a Mac-based system (9 or X).

FWIW, I have very successfully booted via OF into a host of different
systems on one G4. Currently I've got MacOS 9, LinuxPPC, and YDL 2.0, but
I had MacOS X on there with 9 and LinuxPPC for a while, too. My yaboot is
on a 100MB HFS Mac partition and easily gets me to LinuxPPC or YDL. When I
want to boot directly to MacOS, I do it via OF rather than trying to get
yaboot to do the right thing. The command I use for that is "boot
ultra0:9,\\:tbxi" -- "ultra0" because it's the first IDE drive (ultra1 if I
was using the second drive -- hd only works if it's a scsi drive, I think),
"9" because that's the partition number, and ":tbxi" because that's the
file type for the Mac system. Also, I've found that keeping a MacOS 9
partition around is very helpful -- it's a dependable, familiar environment
and sometimes I need that when things are awry.

One more point (sorry if this has already come up -- I just joined the list
and haven't scoured the list for advice already given). I started with
MacOS 9, added LinuxPPC with an HFS partition for yaboot, then installed
MacOS X. At that point I couldn't see my yaboot partition. A little
utility called something like "Make Disks Visible" that I run under MacOS 9
was needed to see that HFS partition again and get it to boot. That might
not help in your particular situation, but it was a critical step for my
set up. That utility shouldn't be too hard to find if you look on MacOS
X-related sites. It's a common issue with MacOS X.

         - Eric