Re: [YellowDogLinux] Installing individual applications

Subject: Re: [YellowDogLinux] Installing individual applications
From: Doug Philips (dgou@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 09:35:34 MDT

Michael Tucker indited:

but
>when I booted off of the Tasty Morsels CD, I couldn't find pdisk or any
>other tools for reformatting.

Why not boot off the main disk (sorry, its not in front of me so I don't
know how the printed label reads)?

I would have just run through the install
>process again, but the installer dies when I try to redo the partition
>table (I tell it to remove the ext2fs partition, swap, and bootloader, and
>then re-add them and click save).

That's odd. I've done just that. I started with an everything install, and
have been working my way "backwards" compared to you, but I was able to boot
from the main disk and repartition just fine. One thing I have done every
time though is to change the size of my swap partition slightly and that
forces and re-init of the filesystems and disk partition.

>I also tried just choosing an Everything
>install to see if it would install over my Developer Workstation install,
>and after lots of messages about packages being installed it froze.

My experience exactly. A query to support indicates that this is not going
to work, though if they knew that, it would seem that putting in a warning
would have been nice. ;-)

Actually, I started by trying to install everything. After nearly 90 minutes
(this is on a Tangerine iMac (266Mhz, standard disk, etc)) it hung half way
through one of the very last file sets it was installing. I didn't record
which one, as this was my first (naive) install... I figured 'well, I'll
just start this again.' No such luck. After clicking through what seemed
like 10,000 "already installed" OK buttons, it hung for me too.

I don't think I have a bad CD though, because I went back and did the
Home/Office install (after repartitioning, just to make sure I could install
something), and then did the Developer's Install (after repartitioning), and
that went OK. I've been adding rpms by hand since then, mostly because I'm
not sure that the install's "everything" is really the same thing as
installing _all_ the rpms. Since I haven't yet further customized it, I'm
tempted to try installing 'everything' again just to see if it hangs and if
so on what rpm.

-Doug