[YellowDogLinux] Installing individual applications

Subject: [YellowDogLinux] Installing individual applications
From: Dave Comeau (dave@evsdesigns.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 10:09:41 MDT

YDL 2.0 comes with xinetd, which is a little different than inetd. What I
would do is install the internet server package, I'm pretty sure that comes
with a mail server installed. Your'e done! httpd is installed, but won't be
active, and most other services, such as telnet, ftp are off by default. If
you'd like to turn them on, edit the individual files in /etc/xinetd.d/

I'm not sure if the mail server is turned on by default, something you might
have to check.

-Dave Comeau

You can easily 'turn off' these services (ftp, etc) by editing your
/etc/inetd.conf file -- put a "#" (no quotes) in from of the entry in
question,
then "killall -HUP initd". You are commenting them out, and inet won't
start
them. ..Jim..

--
Sincerely,