RE: screen resolution problems

Subject: RE: screen resolution problems
From: Walls, Bryan (Bryan.Walls@msfc.nasa.gov)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 11:47:58 MDT

It sounds to me like your X setup is working, but that the resolution is too
high for your taste. Therefore running an autoconfiguration won't help --
you're already configured. You just need a bigger monitor!

However, you can rerun Xconfigurator and tell it to limit the resolutions.
Go to a terminal and type Xconfigurator. It will ask you to pick the name
and type of your monitor. Then, ignoring that information, as far as I can
tell, it then asks you for the resolutions to use. It will probably come up
with them all selected. Unselect all that are larger than what you want to
use. When it asks for the number of colors, I've found that with my built-in
cards X won't start if I pick more than 16 bit. Once you finish, you should
be able to reboot or restart X, and have whatever resolution you want.