Re: screen resolution problems

Subject: Re: screen resolution problems
From: Donn (donntarris@home.com)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 12:38:39 MDT

Tim Moran wrote:

> ...All I want to do right now is change from 1600x1200
> to 1024x768. If I could do this then I would be able to at least use YDL
> so that I could learn more...
> ...Why isn't there a newbie forum with hosts to
> answer simple problems?...

Hi Tim,
I've had the same difficulty with running and ATI card in a 9500 at 1024
x 768. When using 1.2.1 of YDL with a kernel before 2.2.17xxx, I had no
problem whatsoever; in fact, I believe Xautoconfig stepped in, or
something like it (it's too long ago and too many iterations since) and
automatically set the monitor to work exactly like it does when I'm
running the Mac. I didn't have to select anything myself, I just ran the
"setup" application from command line without X running.
As I have not changed any hardware, only the kernel that's running (now
2.2.19xxx, but anything from 2.2.18 on), I would hope that it would be
easy to get my setup running properly once again, but the best I've
managed to get is 1024 x 768 at 8 bits. If I switch up to a higher bit
rate in the configuration file, I get the depth but with artifacts -
black trailing marks following the cursor around...
With a few requests to the list on this one over the past few months,
and hopes that YDL 2 would offer more automated setup with regards to
video/monitors, I still haven't had success. Answers range from "run
setup" to "run Xconfigurator and select settings" (my specific LG
Studioworks 775N isn't listed) to "run Xautoconfig" have all been tried
without success... with changes to the configuration file from kernel
2.2.18xxx on, I can't simply cut and paste the monitor info from an old
config file to a new one.

I don't believe that the question of monitors and resolution is a simple
problem... good luck with your future attempts, sorry I have no solution
to offer.

Cheers,
Donn Tarris
Maple Ridge BC Canada