getting a DMA expansion drive going for PB backup

Subject: getting a DMA expansion drive going for PB backup
From: perry phillips (pm_perry@pacbell.net)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 17:38:05 MDT

Hi All,

This list has been +very+ helpful to me and I want to thank everyone!
Although I have web support, TSS may be a bit swamped at present.

[As a Linux newbie, I've been dealing with assimilating a lot of info
rapidly. Got many new modules installed and running. CPAN.pm was a
long install, but got it going and might be able to help other
newbies who may have gotten stuck on that. (One hitch is that
CPAN.pm had a default location for ftp in the Kerberos directory-- it
should be usr/bin/ftp instead of usr/kerberos/bin/ftp, yadda yadda
unless maybe you've set up Kerberos, etc. which I haven't yet).]

However, the more programs I get running, the more concerned I am
with stability and backup.

My primary concern in this message is in asking for suggestions about
how to backup my internal HD on a swappable DMA expansion bay drive
on a G3 PB pismo. This shouldn't be that difficult (er, impossible),
but it is a problem which has stumped me. I've used "devalias" in OF
to try to determine the device name and my best guess is ide0 or
ide1, but neither seem mountable. Keep in mind that when the DMA
drive is in the expansion bay, the CD-ROM is not--so a YDL CD install
is not possible. Nevertheless, the drive was partitioned
successfully using Mac OS and an external cdrw drive (but that
doesn't work for YDL CD) and half of it is "unallocated" in
preparation for fdisk. Unfortunately, I am stuck at this point.
Maybe I've made a bad assumption about the name of the drive? How
could I check for a device name if it is not mounted from the Linux
side? It seems that it is a bit tricky to mount a drive that isn't
yet readable from the Linux side?

-------------on passing "init 3"--------->
  Jamin Collins wrote: "If this happens (xconfig corruption), you can
pass "init 3" to your kernel on startup to start in text mode and
correct the XF86Config file."

That could be very useful, but I'm not sure of the details. One
would type "I" for interactive mode when the linux boot process
begins?

-------------------on booting from OF------->
Thanks to Eric Woods for clarifying OF booting issues and here's a
site for the "Make Disks Visible" utility:
http://www.alsoft.com/AskAl/download.html
Very useful to anyone who wants to explore OS X and not have their
Linux partition disappear.

Thanks,
Perry