XF86 / Mozilla Font Issue

Subject: XF86 / Mozilla Font Issue
From: Nathan Buck (nathb@efn.org)
Date: Tue Jun 26 2001 - 21:29:51 MDT

I've been reviewing articles and material about fonts and X and Gnome,
but I've as yet been unable to solve my problem completely. The
situation is this:

Lombard G3 Powerbook, loaded with Developer installation of YDL 2.0 from
published discs. After package installation is finished, X is
configured to run at 1024x768 at 16bpp depth. At this point, from
default, 100dpi fonts are not installed. Under Mozilla and Netscape,
the font looks horrible. Its difficult to read and blocky, even at
standard sizing, let alone when a larger sized font is used in a website.

This problem is *cough* easily fixed by installing the
XFree86-100dpi-fonts package off the disc, except the system font
becomes extremely large. Easily fixed by choosing custom font size
under gnome's Control Center / Theme Selector subsection, as well as the
sawfish apperance subsection.

But Mozilla's internal windows all still use the larger font size and
seem to not respond to any Gnome based font control attempts.

I've reviewed the basic surround font configuration in Gnome, adding
font paths to xfs and XF86Config-4, but I'm not getting any 'sufficient'
results.

Anyone else out there managed to figure out a work around to this
problem or is there an actual bug here? I imagine its problem just an
issue with Mozilla and there isn't anything to be done about it but live
with "Accessibility Fonts."

Nathan