Re: Dual boot Linux and Linux?

Subject: Re: Dual boot Linux and Linux?
From: John Canning (john@pcc.com )
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 23:35:34 MDT

On Wed Jun 27 16:41:57 2001 Doug Philips wrote:

> I've decided to go whole hog Linux on my iMac, and no dual boot with MacOS.
> Then I got to thinking, and reflecting on the messages and web site info
> about the 2.4 kernel. I then thought, well, hey, I'm not ready to go to the
> 2.4 kernel, but to play, I'd like to have it. So, I'd like to set up my
> system to dual boot 2.2 and 2.4. Ideally I'd like to have the same swap
> partition and most of the same file system partitions, esp. for the rpms
> that'll run under either kernel.
>
> Can yaboot do this?
> How do I get yaboot do this?
>
> I'm a linux newbie but not a unix newbie--so I don't know if there is
> anythin' 'bout linux that would make this kind of setup not work or painful?

Doug -

I don't think you want to have two partitions for your different kernels.
You are going to get into a nightmare with configuring the various
system files. etc. Instead, compile the new kernel and install it
in the directory with your old kernel (as you will read in the yaboot
FAQ at http://penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/yaboot-faq.shtml, you can put
your kernels anywhere; you just need to configure yaboot correctly and
then run ybin).

When you boot your machine, you can tell yaboot which kernel to use.
When yaboot first gives you a prompt, you can hit the tab key to see
your different options for kernels nad .

Good luck!

John