Re: Dual boot Linux and Linux?

Subject: Re: Dual boot Linux and Linux?
From: Eric Woods (woodse@alum.rpi.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 06:51:53 MDT

At 04:41 PM 6/27/2001, Doug Philips wrote:
>....So, I'd like to set up my system to dual boot 2.2 and 2.4. Ideally I'd
>like to have the same swap partition and most of the same file system
>partitions, esp. for the rpms that'll run under either kernel.
>
>Can yaboot do this?
>How do I get yaboot do this?

I think John's advice is probably the best approach, but if you do want to
have lots of shared space, it works great to have separate partitions that
both systems mount. I am currently sharing the same swap partition and a
couple of other partitions between LinuxPPC (what I had been using for my
server) and YDL 2 (what I've transitioned over to). It works just fine.

The partition setup is taken care of in /etc/fstab. My yaboot
configuration uses these images in yaboot.conf:

image = vmlinux
label = Yellow Dog Linux
root=/dev/hdb11

image = vmlinux-2.2.18-4hpmac
label = LinuxPPC
root=/dev/hda13

(By the way, I'm using an HFS partition for yaboot, so I had to fuss with
moving the vmlinux file from the installation CD to the yaboot partition.)

The most important thing for me to get this to work smoothly was to make
sure that my user id and group id settings were the same between the two
installations. All of it was very straight-forward.

By the way, I also mount my linuxppc root partition at /mnt/linuxppc so
that I can copy things over to the YDL installation if I discover something
missing (like, say, my samba settings).

         - Eric