YDL 2 won't reboot

Subject: YDL 2 won't reboot
From: Gawain Reifsnyder (gawain@guitar.net)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 12:15:32 MDT

This is a followup to an earlier message. I've installed the standard
"home/office" build of YDL 2.0 on a beige G3/300 minitower. I've got
a single 13GB drive with an HFS partition and 3 Linux
partitions--10MB bootloader (unused), 128MB swap, and a 5GB /
partition.

On the first try after installation, it works great. Boots into X,
everything runs perfectly. The problem seems to be that the disk
/dev/hda9 (the root partition) isn't being unmounted after reboot.
Upon rebooting, this message is displayed during the boot process:

==========

Checking root filesystem
/dev/hda9 is mounted. Cannot continue, aborting.

                                        FAILED

After this, the only choice is to drop into the shell. At that point,
I've tried unmounting the partition using umount and running fsck on
the partition which returns with clean results. Rebooting or shutting
down completely then restarting does not cure the problem. The
machine simply refuses to make it past this point after running once.

I've re-installed YDL twice with identical results. The machine isn't
very useful if I have to re-install the OS after every reboot! ;-)

Can anybody help? Thanks in advance for any tidbits of advice!

Gawain