Boot issues between Mac OS 9.1 / OS X and YDL 2.0

Subject: Boot issues between Mac OS 9.1 / OS X and YDL 2.0
From: Richard G Brock (r.brock@snet.net)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 07:50:26 MDT

I recently installed YDL 2.0 on an iMac DV+.
I took what was then the one existing hard drive (20GB) , backed everything
up and then initialized and repartioned the drive.

Partition #1 is Mac OS 9.1
Partition #2 is Mac OS X
Partition #3 is for YDL v2.0
Partition #4 is for Applications

I installed Mac OS 9.1 first.
I then successfully installed YDL 2.0 on the third partition and was able to
boot between it and OS 9.1 several times without problem. (Using yaboot
which came with YDL.
I then installed OS X onto the second partion. Then all hell broke loose,
sort of. Once I installed and configured OS X I then tried rebooting into
OS 9.1. Instead of getting the yaboot prompt for OS selection I was dumped
immediately into OS 9.1 startup.
Once 9.1 was up and running, I rebooted from there also expecting the yaboot
prompt. Didn't happen. Rebooted right back into OS 9.1
Then tried rebooting into OS X from 9.1 and that went fine. Reversed the
procedure and rebooted back into X for 9.1
Still no yaboot prompt.

So, I booted from the YDL CD, deleted the existing linux partitions, and
re-installed. Same thing happened. Booting between 9.1 and YDL is fine.
Once I boot from OS X yaboot prompting seems to disappear.

So, the questions are: Is OS X doing something in Openfirmware that is
messing with yaboot? Has anyone else see this?

I did note one interesting item though. If I shutdown the iMac and then
boot directly into firmware (option key whilst starting) OS X, OS 9.1 and
YDL were displayed as valid boot choices. However, when I choose to boot
YDL it actually started its boot cycle but stopped with an error message
similar to - ' boot image not found '

Any ideas/suggestions/comments welcome!!

--
Richard Brock
r.brock@snet.net