lpd Permission denied

Subject: lpd Permission denied
From: Mark Johnson (JohnsonM@central.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 09:42:01 MDT

On startup, I get an error message from lpd that is something
like: 'Warning: cannot open /dev/ttyS1. Permission denied.'

What should I look at to correct this? (Printing does not work;
similar errors.)

Thanks,

Mark Johnson

PS to YDL: The installer did not seem to like that I do not have
a network device (I connect via modem only). It skipped the
network part of the installation, but then my /etc/hosts was not
configured correctly. It took me quite a while to realize that
I needed to run netcfg to set up the loopback interface. I was
surprised to not see anyone else mentioning this on the list...