Re: Zip Disk?

Subject: Re: Zip Disk?
From: Rob Brandt (rbrandt@sbdsl.com)
Date: Sat Jun 30 2001 - 11:13:48 MDT

I'll try doing a full Mac format reformat with Ziptools.

I should also report my efforts at trying to mount a DOS format zip
disk. Before I even tried anything I wasn't sure whether zip support
would be for DOS or Windows format, so I prepared one of each and put
the rpms on them that I wanted to install on my 6100. See previous
posts for my results with Mac format. On the DOS disk, it WOULD
successfully mount, but each file name was represented by a string of
question marks EXCEPT for the 8.3 file names created by ziptools
(desktop, Finder.dat, the folder Resource.frk, etc.). So I know I am
using the right device and ID to address the zip drive. Does DOS
support handle only 8.3 file names, or are the question marks for
longer file names indicative of another problem somewhere?

Thanks

Rob