G4-400mHz PowerBook install problems.

Subject: G4-400mHz PowerBook install problems.
From: Michael R Hanulec (hanulec@hanulec.com)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 21:40:44 MST

Hello..

This evening I attempted to install Yellow Dog Linux Champion Server
release 1.2.1. I went about partitioning my systems as follows (w/ Mac OS
9.1's Drive Setup, version 2.0.3)

1. 2G HFS+ partition for Mac OS X
2. 2G HFS partition (I was going to use for Mac OS X.. i wanna see what
its like.. but don't worry i love linux ;)
3. 100MB HFS partition which i wanted to use for yaboot
4. 2G AIX/Root (ext2) partition for linux
5. 128mb AIX/Swap (swap) partition for linux
6. 2G HFS partitions for file sharing and later partition mapping
7. 2G HFS partitions "

I completed my install of Mac OS 9.1 on the HFS+ partition. After that I
inserted my YDL cd and rebooted while holding down the 'c' key. Upon boot
a black screen appeared showing the following:

<cut>
Welcome to Linux, kernel 2.2.17-0.6.1

started at : 0x01000000
linked at : 0xc0000000
frame buffer at : 0xa6008000 (phys), 0xa6008000 (log)
MSR : 0x00003030
MID0 : 0x8014c0a4

booting ...
</cut>

I then sat and waited... and nothing happened, not a sound was made. I'm
wondering what I did wrong? Must I install yaboot into a HFS partition
first? Or is my current partitioning schema possibly causing my problem?

If anyone has some insight on what might be wrong I would appreciated some
feedback. Btw.. this is the first time I'm attempting to install
PPC/Linux w/ this cd.. hopefully I don't have a dud.. and unfortunately I
can't test the cd until Monday @ work.

--
mike hanulec					http://www.hanulec.com
hanulec@hanulec.com				http://dev.hanulec.com