Re: G4-400mHz PowerBook install problems.

Subject: Re: G4-400mHz PowerBook install problems.
From: Darren Graham (dfgraham@scs.dera.gov.uk)
Date: Mon Mar 05 2001 - 01:35:41 MST

I have a had similar problem caused by the 1GB RAM I had installed, when I
reduced it to 512MB YDL booted fine.
How much RAM do you have installed?
Darren

At 23:40 02/03/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello..
>
>This evening I attempted to install Yellow Dog Linux Champion Server
>release 1.2.1. I went about partitioning my systems as follows (w/ Mac OS
>9.1's Drive Setup, version 2.0.3)
>
>1. 2G HFS+ partition for Mac OS X
>2. 2G HFS partition (I was going to use for Mac OS X.. i wanna see what
>its like.. but don't worry i love linux ;)
>3. 100MB HFS partition which i wanted to use for yaboot
>4. 2G AIX/Root (ext2) partition for linux
>5. 128mb AIX/Swap (swap) partition for linux
>6. 2G HFS partitions for file sharing and later partition mapping
>7. 2G HFS partitions "
>
>I completed my install of Mac OS 9.1 on the HFS+ partition. After that I
>inserted my YDL cd and rebooted while holding down the 'c' key. Upon boot
>a black screen appeared showing the following:
>
><cut>
>Welcome to Linux, kernel 2.2.17-0.6.1
>
>started at : 0x01000000
>linked at : 0xc0000000
>frame buffer at : 0xa6008000 (phys), 0xa6008000 (log)
>MSR : 0x00003030
>MID0 : 0x8014c0a4
>
>booting ...
></cut>
>
>I then sat and waited... and nothing happened, not a sound was made. I'm
>wondering what I did wrong? Must I install yaboot into a HFS partition
>first? Or is my current partitioning schema possibly causing my problem?
>
>If anyone has some insight on what might be wrong I would appreciated some
>feedback. Btw.. this is the first time I'm attempting to install
>PPC/Linux w/ this cd.. hopefully I don't have a dud.. and unfortunately I
>can't test the cd until Monday @ work.
>
>--
>mike hanulec http://www.hanulec.com
>hanulec@hanulec.com http://dev.hanulec.com
>aol im: hanulec EFnet irc: hanulec

The views expressed above are entirely those of the writer
and do not represent the views, policy or understanding of
any other person or official body.
"We seek not the answers but to better understand
the question"
- Kane, Kung Fu
Darren Graham
Scientist Tel +44 (0) 1252 392819
Space Department Fax +44 (0) 1252 396310
DERA Farnborough
Hampshire email:
United Kingdom dfgraham@scs.dera.gov.uk
GU14 0LX

The information contained in this e-mail and any subsequent correspondence is private and is intended solely for the intended recipient(s). For those other than the intended recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is prohibited and may be unlawful.