Re: Newbie Problem installing on b/w G3

Subject: Re: Newbie Problem installing on b/w G3
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 06 2001 - 19:32:11 MST

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Judy & Jane wrote:

> Have installed the BootX (v. 1.2.2) extension and control panel and put
> VMLinux and ramdisk.image.gz in the system folder. When I invoke BootX from
> Control Panels and select Linux, the screen goes blank and my HD spins down
> and then... nothing, that's how it stays until I reboot.

There could be a few problems. First, the BootX "control panel" (really an
application) is far less reliable than the extension, and can cause symptoms
like you listed. Try the extension.

Also, BootX is unreliable in general on New World machines such as the B&W G3.
You really should be using yaboot. As someone else noted, BootX won't work at
all on New World with OS 9.1.

-Hollis