YUP says nope! How do I clean up dependencies?

Subject: YUP says nope! How do I clean up dependencies?
From: Tom Arnold (tarnold@smpllc.com)
Date: Wed Mar 07 2001 - 17:53:31 MST

Hi,
I installed YDL 1.2.1 on my PowerMac 7500 (w/604e upgrade card, 200MHz) a
few months back. I used the accompanying Abria SQL disk to install MySQL,
Apache, PHP4.1 etc -- I believe I used the "install everything" option.

I've been playing around with it for a while. I figure I need to know how to
do updates, rather than "clean installs" if I want to get a production
system going. So I figured I'd try yup, since it looked like a useful tool.
I do "yup update" and get the following:

Warning: Multiple entries found in RPM database --
apache-manual-1.3.12-2g and apache-manual-1.3.12-1
Warning: Multiple entries found in RPM database --
autoconf-2.13-5 and autoconf-2.13-6
Warning: Multiple entries found in RPM database --
gd-1.8.3-1 and gd-1.3-6
Warning: Multiple entries found in RPM database --
gd-devel-1.8.3-1 and gd-devel-1.3-6
Warning: Multiple entries found in RPM database --
libtool-1.3.5-3 and libtool-1.3.4-2
Warning: Multiple entries found in RPM database --
perl-56:5.6.0-2 and perl-5.00503-11
Performing dependencies sanity check...

Error: Unable to satisfy dependency gd >= 1.8.3 for package php
-----
So, does this mean my "dependency tree" is broken, or what? How do I fix it?
I've tried just updating gd, with "yup update gd" and that gives a similar
result. I'm kinda stumped.
-TA