Re: I know this has been asked, but I STILL can't get YDL toworkon my powerbook

Subject: Re: I know this has been asked, but I STILL can't get YDL toworkon my powerbook
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 09:58:37 MST

on 3/8/01 11:00 AM, Timothy Morgenthaler at tamorgen@aol.net wrote:

> I guess this is promising, just looks messy. I guess my next step now is to
> get the bootscript to work from the open firmware, and then figure out how
> to fix this. Any suggestions on my problem now? Thanks.

It seems to me that you have not installed linux yet. The reason your swap
partition is failing, etc, is because no file sytems exist on the
partitions. You have to use the cd to install first.

As I said previously, make sure you provide the following in yaboot.conf:

 image = cd:,\\\\vmlinux
    label = install-novideo
    initrd = cd:,\\\\ramdisk.image.gz
    initrd-size=8192
    novideo

When at the "boot:" prompt from yaboot type

 install-novideo

and the installer will execute off the cd. From there you can specify which
partitions to use as swap and root and actually install the software onto
them. If you don't have the installer CDs you can install via anonymous FTP
by getting the ramdisk.image.gz file and putting it in the same directory as
yaboot. For you this would mean putting the following into your yaboot.conf
file.

 image = hd:9,\\vmlinux
    label = install-novideo
    initrd = hd:9,\\ramdisk.image.gz