Re: Will YD 2.0 be .. ..help with XFree86 keymappings

Subject: Re: Will YD 2.0 be .. ..help with XFree86 keymappings
From: Adam (adamhadm@frontiernet.net)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 19:23:46 MST

Cal and others.......

First of all yes, I vented some frustration and whined....

I have been working on linux since spring of '99 and have enjoyed
learning all that I have learned thus far. It does get frustrating
when I read all of the info available to me on XFree86 (i86 and ppc)
on switching from 3.3.6 to 4.x. The first time was a total bomb....
as it stands I can not type the letter 'a' or use the function keys
or the keypad. (basically I can not use x) As stated, I worked on
this for days, reviewed ALL my books on linux, UNIX, Redhat and so
forth printed every page from XFree86 docs on 4.x and still
nothing... I then went to the LinuxPPC site and poised the question
there. I did receive some helpful hints but it still lingered on
like a sick dog.... I downloaded ALL of the small revisions of
XFree86 for ppc and some were buggy and others were not but all in
all the problem still remains. I thought the next best thing to
help, the upgrading woes, was to use an official release but I have
been waiting and waiting...

I keep promising my wife after this thing I can get it working and
use linux instead of the mac for the mail, Internet, word processing
and so forth but it has not yet happened. I would like to use linux
not just learn linux.

As of the hardware/software?

I need drivers for:
fireware pocket drives from vst
Phase one digital camera back ($22K) (the company does not support
linux but Irix...
Sinar leaf camera system ($30k)
Some High end drum scanners ($10k - 85k)
scanners for 35mm, 6x6cm, 4x5, 8x10 film such as the imacron FlexTight
HP 1220C Deskjet and (HP does not yet support a driver for this
printer in linux)
Fuji Pic 3000, 4000
Iris printer
and much, much more

If you can produce the software and drivers from these and other
companies I will be 100+% using linux for every thing. But, this is
not the case. The mac still has the corner on the market on color
matching and the like.

I am at the moment typing a business plan for a commercial
photography studio to shoot strictly digital and no film for ad
agencies and the like. Digital photography is still new and in the
last 10 years it has been growing but not very quickly until now.
This year and the next we will see a large increase of photographers
using digital more than ever because of clients asking for it or out
of efficiently.... Now, toss in linux and watch heads spin... I am
willing to learn, use, and support linux and watch it grow but when I
have to support a family... my time is money.... I do like getting
the source code but there are times I do like spending some extra $$
just to make sure it works and is not down....

Then the news of YD 2.0 coming out in Dec. then Feb. and now when...
just for a graphics installer.... I would not mind using the old
style onf installing and updating... I could have install the
linuxppc q4 but I prefer YellowDog and it's support.....

Can you see my dilemma?

I have been waiting patiently and quietly for some time... If we
could get this XFree86 problem liked and then I'll just pipe down....

Please understand and help (is that what the linux community and the
like is all about?)

Also your profanity does not help either....

---Adam

      Done Studios,
Commercial Photography
      and Digital Imaging