Re: Will YD 2.0 be .. ..help with XFree86 keymappings

Subject: Re: Will YD 2.0 be .. ..help with XFree86 keymappings
From: Cal Spooner (spoon@visi.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 05:38:57 MST

Hi Adam.
You said:

>Cal and others.......
>
>First of all yes, I vented some frustration and whined....<snip> I
>would like to use linux not just learn linux.

By all means, learn. But you are missing the point. I've been in the
video/graphics thing for years. As a graphics pro I hope you realize
that the drivers you need will not be available for linux, ever.
Unless you compile them yourself, or get real lucky. And there
probably won't be anything like Photoshop, or Illustrator. Anyone who
thinks Gimp has anything on Photoshop hasn't worked with 50+ layer
200mb images before. As a pro, you are cutting your own throat to try
to use linux as a graphics platform. And why would you want to? The
Mac OS has always had the graphics market, and all the tools are
available. This is a clear choice, not a dilemma. Linux has much to
offer as a server platform, a programming platform, and to average
computer users with average needs. But to have your business suffer
because you have some obsessive tendencies in the operating system
dept. is madness.

>If you can produce the software and drivers from these and other
>companies I will be 100+% using linux for every thing. But, this is
>not the case. The mac still has the corner on the market on color
>matching and the like.

And it always will...... Now who did you say was gonna produce this
software? Me?

>Then the news of YD 2.0 coming out in Dec. then Feb. and now when...
>just for a graphics installer.... I would not mind using the old
>style onf installing and updating... I could have install the
>linuxppc q4 but I prefer YellowDog and it's support.....
>
>Can you see my dilemma?

I got news for ya.... everybody seems to think that the new version
of something is gonna fix all their problems. But it won't. If you
can't fix and use what you have now, you're not going to be able to
deal with the new, different problems that will crop up after the
upgrade. That is your dilemma.

>I have been waiting patiently and quietly for some time... If we
>could get this XFree86 problem liked and then I'll just pipe down....
>
>Please understand and help (is that what the linux community and the
>like is all about?)

Sometimes help has to do with a dose of reality. Help is obtained by
those who help themselves. And as far as understanding, I do
understand, I'm trying to make you understand that you can't chase a
mirage. Don't compromise your career over this. Use the familiar and
the obtainable. I know audio guys that are still running Mac OS 7.5.5
because their systems run well. Their slogan is "never upgrade". This
is very common in A/V digital thought. I don't go that far. But I've
been though hell on some upgrades because of it. But to think of
changing to a new OS, to trade in the available obvious for the
unobtainable in the hopes of the possible will have a completely
unpredictable end result. (Huh?) Again I say: Why?

>Also your profanity does not help either....

Geez, I didn't think I swore. I'll have to go back & take a look...
Prob'ly jus' how i talk.

--
Cal Spooner
spoon@visi.com