Linux Networking Hell

Subject: Linux Networking Hell
From: Barry Sparenborg (sparenborgb@hadadycorp.com)
Date: Fri Mar 09 2001 - 07:05:22 MST

Hello,
I have been working for 2 weeks now trying to install YDL 1.2.1 on my 8500
PowerMac. I have the built-in Ethernet card along with a farallon fast
EthernetTX 10/100 PCI card. When I install YDL it finds both cards. I can
ifup eth0 and eth1 but the only interface I can communicate with is the
built-in interface. I have tried to place the farallon card in different
PCI slots, to no avail. I have tested this card with the Mac OS and seems
to work fine. Are there any problems with IRQ conflicts using IRQ 23 or
24or 25 (depending on which slot it is in)? Can anyone please point me in
the right direction. This is my first attempt to install Linux on a PPC, I
have done many installs on Intel systems over the past 2 years and have not
had this many problems getting networking going.

Also each time I use Linuxconf to change something I get errors that
rpc.nfsd is taking to long and times out. What is this trying to tell me?
I have a 5 disk raid level 0 setup on this system and seems to work. Could
this have something to do with this error?

Thanks,

* Barry Sparenborg
* Manager, Manufacturing Technologies
* Hadady Corporation