Re: YDL vs. OS X

Subject: Re: YDL vs. OS X
mbartosh@heretic.mabaleb.org
Date: Sat Mar 10 2001 - 09:38:14 MST

On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Paul J. Lucas wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Mar 2001, Peter J Muhlberger wrote:
>
>> I was just wondering whether anyone knows how YDL stacks up against OS X.
>
> First, it's Linux vs. OS X; YDL is just a repackaging of Redhat
> Linux.
>
>> I'm thinking of getting X when it comes out, and am under the impression X is
>> a unix OS.
>
> It is based on Unix, yes.
>
>> What I don't know is whether X would allow loading standard linux programs &
>> desktops.
>
> OS X, despite its name, does not have an X Windows server, so
> you can't run anything GUI-based.

This is false. XF86 4.x runs on Mac OS X both in standalone mode and
simultaniously with Aqua thanks to the XonX project (the url escapes
me). though I think once you see Aqua you'll want to move away from KDE
and run XF86 rootless in Aqua.

>> I need to be able to program in Java / JSP for Tomcat / Apache using Forte as
>> an IDE, & I like using KDE desktop. Does anyone know whether OS X's unix
>> core would allow running these programs?

Java / JSP / Apache yes. Mac OS X has a really stunning Java
environment. Forte...probably... isn't it pure Java?

> You probably can run anything that doesn't use a GUI.

Ahhh but you can run the gui... Through either the commercial XTools or
through XF86.

> A friend
> who works at apple has run Apache under it.

That's weird, since Apache is supplied by Apple and is what is used for
personal web sharing.

-mab