YDL

Subject: YDL
From: Donn Tarris (donntarris@home.com)
Date: Sun Mar 11 2001 - 15:04:35 MST

I believe within the past two weeks someone posed a question, perhaps
not clearly enough for most to see it as a question, regarding this list
being focussed on Yellowdog Linux. What I took it to mean is becoming
more relevant as I get further into trying to find solutions to problems
I'm encountering.
Simple put, I joined this list because I figure that anything discussed
on it is relevant to linux running on a PPC, the majority of computers
included being Macs within the supported list on the YDL site. So...
I have looked, as many may have already, for "easy" installation methods
or workarounds to the following, so far without success:

Staroffice 5.2 - does it run under YDL on a Mac?
Quicktime - is there any formulation or other program that will display
quicktime content on YDL running on a Mac?
Netscape 4.76 - is there a specific version that will run on YDL on a
Mac?

I'll keep searching, but it would be lovely if someone knew of links for
installers for the software mentioned above.

As for my previous problems with my cable connection in YDL on the Mac,
they have all gone away once they replaced my Lancity modem with the
Terayon one and given me the proper name server and router addresses to
use! Gee, that seems to make all the difference in the world! :-)
The only problem I'm experiencing now is, and this may seem very
convoluted, is connecting to the network via TCP/IP when running
MacOnLinux within YDL. I get the message that there's already a machine
using that address... I'm thinking that it may have something to do with
setting up IP masquerading, which I'll read more about.

Thanks for "listening"...
Sincerely,
Donn Tarris
Maple Ridge BC

ps. related to another posting, I would agree that the Mac excels in the
graphics and multimedia areas - it's why I own one. But in most of the
magazines and books I've been looking at dealing with Linux, it seems
that the hope is that it will take over from all other operating
systems. If that is truly the case, the applications for multimedia,
graphics and audio will need to come. Easy installation will also need
to come. It's great to have the access "under the hood" like you do with
Linux, but a lot of users will also not want to have to do anything
other than hit "install" to be up and running - which should be
perfectly fair to hope for at some point.?.