Can't get my web pages from mac to YDL using FTP or Atalk

Subject: Can't get my web pages from mac to YDL using FTP or Atalk
From: Tom Arnold (tarnold@smpllc.com)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2001 - 04:33:29 MST

Bare with with me on this. There's probably dozen ways I could fix this and
I haven't figure out any yet.

What I want to do: use Dreamweaver on my Mac to edit web sites, which will
be served by Apache on YDL. The Apache server httpd.conf has
DocumentRoot "/home/httpd/html"

So I would want to store my site in a subdirectory somewhere like
/home/httpd/html/mywebsite

How to get them there? Well, Dreamweaver (DW) has ftp built in to "publish"
a site. But I can't get an ftp connection to my Linux box using DW, nor
using Vicomsoft FTP Client. (I've used both tools successfully to ftp to
several other servers.) I've used Webmin to check the FTP service on my
Linux server, which appears to be enabled.

So, potential fix #1 would be to get it so I can ftp the files to the proper
directory.

I also run the atalk daemon so I can store files on Linux from my mac. Using
this, I can mount my home directory and save files in it, including a whole
site for DW. However, I can't get atalk to let me "see" any other
directories outside my user directory. Also I can't mount any Linux files as
root. That is, if I open the Chooser, type in my server's IP address or DNS
name, and type "root" in the Name box and type the root password in the
password box, it doesn't work. (I'm not thrilled that it sends a cleartext
password either, but I haven't wanted to rebuild atalk to change that.
[miniflame -- why doesn't the "default" build of atalk support encrypted
passwords? sheesh] )

Potential fix #2 would be to access ~httpd/html via atalk. Haven't been able
to get it to work.

Since storing them in my home directory on Linux at least gets them to the
right machine, I've tried moving the files to ~httpd/html after getting them
to my home directory. This gives me all kinds of weird access problems --
permissions are screwed up when I do it this way. There's probably some sort
Apache configuration change to fix that, too. I guess that would be
potential fix #3.

Another weirdness is that if I telnet to my Linux machine, I can log in as a
regular user then do an "su root" successfully. But I can't log in as root.
This somehow seems like it might be related to the problem of not being able
to mount ~root via Chooser.

Sorry if this seems to be all over the place. I'll be happy to get this
problem solved by *any* means. Over time perhaps I'll understand the reasons
behind *all* these issues.

-Tom