Switched to Kernel 2.4.2 but now keymapping is hosed.

Subject: Switched to Kernel 2.4.2 but now keymapping is hosed.
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2001 - 09:55:06 MST

Hi all,

I have a titanium powerbook so I switched to using the 2.4.2 kernel as
defined at the linux PPC site:

http://www.linuxppc.org/documentation/2000Q4/titanium.php3

I did this because I need the newer kernel to run X windows correctly (so
I'm told). I followed the instructions and rebooted using a yaboot
configuration. It all seemed to go well until the very end, when I tried to
log in.

For some reason the keyboard key mapping was all screwed up. When I hit the
return key, an 8 appeared. All the keys were wrongly mapped. For example,
the J key produced a return. Well, needless to say, it was impossible to log
in and I had to reboot under my old Kernel.

I need a solution, because I have totally upgraded X windows to 4.0.2 and it
won't work under the old Kernel ( I have yet to determine if it will work
under the new one).

So, since I am not more than a few notches above neophyte, I would
appreciate some wise person describing which configuration file I need to
doctor up to get my keyboard to work correctly.

Thanks a lot!

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com