Please Help, Keymapping still hosed.

Subject: Please Help, Keymapping still hosed.
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 08:26:52 MST

Ok, I'm still looking for a solution to the keymapping problem for my
Titanium G4 described in my previous message (included below). Please,
somebody tell me what file I need to update and from where I can get it.

Is the problem with /etc/sysconfig/keyboard

Is the problem with /etc/sysconfig/console/default.kmap

Is the problem with /etc/rc.d/init.d/keytable

Is the problem with /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/mac/mac-us-std.kmap.gz

Is the problem with kbdconfig

Is it a combination of things? Are the LinuxPPC kernels incompatible with
the YDL build? Or is it something I don't understand. Please help, this is
driving me crazy!

> Hi all,
>
> I have a titanium powerbook so I switched to using the 2.4.2 kernel as
> defined at the linux PPC site:
>
> http://www.linuxppc.org/documentation/2000Q4/titanium.php3
>
> I did this because I need the newer kernel to run X windows correctly (so
> I'm told). I followed the instructions and rebooted using a yaboot
> configuration. It all seemed to go well until the very end, when I tried to
> log in.
>
> For some reason the keyboard key mapping was all screwed up. When I hit the
> return key, an 8 appeared. All the keys were wrongly mapped. For example,
> the J key produced a return. Well, needless to say, it was impossible to log
> in and I had to reboot under my old Kernel.
>
> I need a solution, because I have totally upgraded X windows to 4.0.2 and it
> won't work under the old Kernel ( I have yet to determine if it will work
> under the new one).
>
> So, since I am not more than a few notches above neophyte, I would
> appreciate some wise person describing which configuration file I need to
> doctor up to get my keyboard to work correctly.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> --William K. Gibson
> 1stDesk Systems
> firstdesk@columbus.rr.com