Re: Can't get my web pages from mac to YDL using FTP or Atalk

Subject: Re: Can't get my web pages from mac to YDL using FTP or Atalk
From: Tom Arnold (tarnold@smpllc.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 10:02:16 MST

> From: "Philip Good" <phil@go2taichi.com>
> Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:14:25 -0700
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com
> Subject: Re: Can't get my web pages from mac to YDL using FTP or Atalk
>
> Make sure the user you are ftp'ed into the YDL machine is part of the "nobody"
> group, assuming apache is running as nobody.

Problem is, I can't start an ftp session AT ALL with this server. I don't
know what's wrong, but I suspect that some daemon is not running or
something is not configured right on YDL. I don't know what though, and I've
searched many books and FAQ's. It seems that ftp is just supposed to
"happen"! How does the daemon get started? How does it get configured? I
haven't found anything relevant in /etc/rc/init.d so far.

> You should use ssh instead of telnet. This also allows you to use scp, a
> secure way to copy between machines. Mac has a decent
> version of ssh at:
>
> http://www.macssh.com

Actually, I do use ssh. I was unaware of macssh. I've been using NiftyTelnet
1.1, which is at
<http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/dist/niftytelnet.html>.