Re: Can't get my web pages from mac to YDL using FTP or Atalk

Subject: Re: Can't get my web pages from mac to YDL using FTP or Atalk
From: Philip Good (phil@go2taichi.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 10:18:47 MST

You'll need to make sure you have an ftp server installed, try:

ls /usr/sbin/in.*

you probably have in.proftd or in.ftpd.

edit /etc/inetd.conf

uncomment or add the line:

ftp stream nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.ftpd # or in.proftpd

make sure inetd is running:

ps ax | grep inetd

it should be, if not, make sure you have /etc/rc.d/init.d/inet then add:

ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/inet /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99inetd

For safety you should edit your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny
files to only allow telnet and fto access from specific machines/IPs.
That's another topic.

If you want real features and flexibility, replace inetd with xinetd.
Then install webmin, which has a GUI web-based interface for telnet, ftp,
apache, sendmail + practically anything else you can think of. It's then
very easy to configure advanced features for lots of this stuff.

Good luck
Phil

--
Philip Good
Red Planet Development, Red Canyon Software, Good Chi Tai Chi