Re: Can't get my web pages from mac to YDL using FTP or Atalk

Subject: Re: Can't get my web pages from mac to YDL using FTP or Atalk
From: Tom Arnold (tarnold@smpllc.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 10:36:15 MST

If a volume is mounted on the Mac desktop, you can't go "up" the hierarchy
of directories that may exist above it. The Mac knows nothing about the
directories above the mount point, I assume (at least it doesn't tell). I
think it would be a real security hole if it did. Presumably the
administrator of a file server (any type) sets the mount point(s) to be
made accessible and the permissions, and that's all that can be accessed.

The feature you describe only works for the folder window in the finder (or
SFGetFile and SFPutFile dialogs in mac applications) that are displaying
folders somewhere "down" in the folder hierarchy below the mount point.
Above that you only see the desktop and other volumes. If the server
directory you need is not itself mounted as another volume, you won't see it
on the desktop or anywhere else.

In my case, the chooser doesn't even show the server until I type in the IP
address or the DNS name. Then it shows me ONLY the volume corresponding to
the home directory for one user -- and I'm not quite sure why that user.