Re: yup and YDL 2.0

Subject: Re: yup and YDL 2.0
From: Hollis R Blanchard (hollis+@andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2001 - 13:48:52 MST

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Iain Stevenson wrote:

> It would be REALLY HELPFUL if YellowDog could provide guidance with YDL 2.0
> on which packages are minor upgrades (ie bug fixes unlikely to require
> changes to config files) and those likely to require a significant
> investment of time.

X Windows, Gnome, KDE, and glibc are fairly major (by your definition). By
other definitions, ncurses (for example) is major since a lot of your
installed packages will depend on the old one (iow to upgrade ncurses you need
to upgrade 20+ packages at once).

> I don't want to do a wholesale upgrade (the last was a major battle since
> the new YDL distribution proved to be not directly compatible with several
> programs I had installed) but would like to upgrade a few packages.

You're free to do this... in fact if it turns out something's taking too much
time for you then you could stop installing it.

However from a QA perspective I assure you that it's near impossible to
support people upgrading rather than installing.

If you aren't comfortable using rpm to rip out and replace the guts of your
system, I really don't see any solution other than a fresh installation.

-Hollis