Re: xntp

Subject: Re: xntp
From: Randall Perry (rgp@systame.com)
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 10:58:46 MST

> From: "Paul J. Lucas" <pauljlucas@mac.com>
> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 18:19:50 -0800 (PST)
> To: yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com
> Subject: Re: xntp
>
> On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
>
>> If you're running the daemon, it means you primarily want to act as the timer
>> server for others to connect to.
>
> Not really.
>
>> Try 'ntpdate time_server.foo.bar'. I use 'ntp.vt.edu'. If it works, make it a
>> cron job.
>
> However, I do run ntpdate as an hourly cron because I've
> noticed that xntpd sometimes dies unexpectedly. Put something
> like the following in /etc/cron.hourly. If your ISP has a NTP
> server include theirs and any others you like. More than one
> is recommended.

Discovered the following in the ntpdate man page:

"ntpdate will decline to set the date if an NTP server daemon (e.g., xntpd)
is running on the same host. When running ntpdate on a regular basis from
cron as an alternative to running a daemon, doing so once every hour or two
will result in precise enough timekeeping to avoid stepping the clock."

Stopped the daemon and it's working ok.

Thanks guys

--
Randy Perry