Linux Networking

Subject: Linux Networking
From: Barry Sparenborg (sparenborgb@hadadycorp.com)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 07:18:19 MST

Well I finally got the Farallon FastEtherTX 10/100 card to come up on my
powermac 8500, with lots of thanks from all you out there! I have one
little question:
When my machine starts up it posts that eth0 is my on-board ethernet
interface and eth1 is my pci card. Is ther a quick and dirty way to
eliminate the machine from automatically setting these interfaces. I would
really like to use the pci card for my local area network, as eth0 (just
because of speed, running to an ethernet switch) and the built in interface
for my dsl or cable modem interface. I have tried to shutdown eth0 so that
eth1 is the only interface up but cannot ping any of the nodes on my LAN.
With the cable plugged into eth0 I can ping all nodes on my LAN and all
nodes can ping both of my NIC's.

What do I need to do to make this work!

Thanks for all your help!

* Barry Sparenborg