Re: Kernel 2.4.2 - does this work on PPC?

Subject: Re: Kernel 2.4.2 - does this work on PPC?
christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 10:19:08 MST

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Hollis R Blanchard wrote:
>2.2.19preX should be entirely stable. 2.4.X will not be for some time
>(but depending on your usage could work acceptably).

 On that subject...

 I'm thinking of upgrading two of my machines (one of which is already
running on a dual processor machine) to a kernel that would allow me to
use the second CPU and more RAM. My main reason is that one of them is
running PostgreSQL and I'm about to go live with a new section of our site
that is really database intensive. Since I have no idea if our machine
will be able to handle the traffic with only one processor, I figure the
extra CPU power and more RAM couldn't hurt.

 So, my question is: What is the general feeling about the 2.4 kernels,
are any of them considered stable enough to run Apache (mod_perl and php4)
with PostgreSQL?

 Any info would be much appreciated, as I'm in a bit of a panic not
knowing if our hardware will be able to deal with the load we are about to
give it.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada