Newbie: PM8500 video and ethernet problems.

Subject: Newbie: PM8500 video and ethernet problems.
From: Wei Chang (wchang@intrinsity.com)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 11:25:17 MST

I just installed YDL 1.2.1 on my PowerMac 8500. I am having the
following problems:

1. I use Xconfigurator to setup the video for X, but X will not start
with color depths greater than 8 bits. How do I get 16 bit color?

2. I am using the 8500 internal ethernet port to connect to my SMC
router which is connected to cable modem. During Linux startup, eth0 is
shown as "OK" and I use netonfig to set my network connection as DHCP.
However, neither telnet or Netscape will connect me to any sites. What
can I do to troubleshoot this?

I am a total newbie to Linux. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- wei