Re: The Continuing Installation Saga. Pram zap hosed open firmware. [FIXED]

Subject: Re: The Continuing Installation Saga. Pram zap hosed open firmware. [FIXED]
From: William K. Gibson (firstdesk@columbus.rr.com)
Date: Wed Mar 21 2001 - 12:54:45 MST

on 3/21/01 11:14 PM, William K. Gibson at firstdesk@columbus.rr.com wrote:

> In trying to get MOL to work I used TechTool 1.2.1 to zap the PRAM, hoping
> it would help.
>
> Unfortunately after I did this my bootscript would not work. Ok, I think,
> I'll restore the PRAM I zapped and everything will be fine. Nope, it still
> didn't work.

Sorry about the bogus time stamps on my previous mails...

Ok, problem averted. After searching a bit I found the following web page
for help:

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/DeviceManagers/pci_srvcs/pci_ca
rds_drivers/PCI_BOOK.5e.html#13748

Which helped me learn to do the printenv command from open firmware.

Doing so showed me that my environment tables were corrupt- probably due to
using TechTool 1.2.1 (let this be a lesson to us all :-) After this I did a
reboot with PRAM zap twice in a row. This seemed to restore the environment
to the default, allowing me to set the bootscript again as the boot-device.

Anyone know where I can get a complete manual on open firmware commands?

--William K. Gibson
1stDesk Systems
firstdesk@columbus.rr.com