Re: Linux Networking Hell

Subject: Re: Linux Networking Hell
From: Bryn Hughes (linux@mail.demian.shacknet.nu)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 16:33:05 MST

I'm using mine with 3 NICs, no problems. 2 Tulip and one GMAC (PM G4
internal).... The GMAC drivers are a little flakey, but that's got
nothing to do with YDL. The Tulip drivers work perfectly.

I haven't yet found a way to force the link negotiation to anything,
as far as I can tell the only way to do this is to compile your NIC
drivers as modules and then pass parameters to them? I've been told
this, but never how to actually DO it, and of course there's nothing
out there that I can find that tells you how.

I have seen pics of ifconfig on people's systems showing info like
that, so I know someone out there is working on it...

And yes, the system does decide what eth0, eth1 etc will refer to,
but it's always the same every time. Onboard is eth0, first PCI NIC
will be eth1, and so on. Same as on the Mac side where the onboard
will be "Ethernet" and then any additional cards will be something
like "Ethernet Slot B1" and so on.

If you haven't checked the config for your video card drivers, you
may well find you haven't set it up to use them. I also know the
stock kernel with YDL doesn't have support for everything, but yup
can take care of that pretty quickly. I really don't know why your
mouse didn't work, mine works fine.

Bryn