Re: Newbie: PM8500 video and ethernet problems.

Subject: Re: Newbie: PM8500 video and ethernet problems.
From: Bitch (Bitch_Trix@mac.com)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 16:37:20 MST

At 3:05 PM -0500 3/22/01, Sean Riley wrote:

>Looks like you have it right........ Although as root the ifconfig eth0 up
>or down shouldn't bark at you. Look in /var/log/messages to see that the
>ethernet interface was picked up properly

Well, nothing seems to be working, i do appreciate your trying though.

From what I can tell, something isnt jivving with the eth0.

on ifconfig eth0 gives me a "warning, cant find PHY"..

Who is this PHY guy and why is he hiding? 8-)

I assume its saying it cannot find the PHYsical device...
Its a newer G4 400 with the gigabit ethernet - might this be the logjam?

Pinging the IP i get for my machine from the hub on the mac side, 192.168.0
2, works from both Mac and from Linux.
pinging the router (hub) address, 192.168.0.1, works fine on the mac, but
not from linux.

Simple assumption is Linux isnt talking to the eth port or something is
jamming it along the way....

What a bitch....

>But you shouldn't have to reinstall again to fiddle with the settings.

Seems if i try to fiddle with the settings using netcfg from X, and exit,
it usually ends up locking up (mebbe it needs 5 minutes or so) to try to
shut down. I force a reboot - after it comes back up and from then on out,
startup will always be excruciatingly slow (hanging forever on configuring
sendmail and then httpd (whatever the spelling) - with the latter usually
giving me a failed. Everything else creeps along after that. Takes x about
3 minutes to start up.

A reinstall speeds it back along..

SIGH - i really really need to find a goos basic Linux book that covers
basic stuff like configuration, commands, etc.

--
BX