Re: Linux Networking Hell

Subject: Re: Linux Networking Hell
From: Iain Stevenson (iain@IainStevenson.com)
Date: Fri Mar 23 2001 - 02:04:14 MST

on 22/3/01 11:33 pm, Bryn Hughes at linux@demian.shacknet.nu wrote:

> And yes, the system does decide what eth0, eth1 etc will refer to,
> but it's always the same every time. Onboard is eth0, first PCI NIC
> will be eth1, and so on. Same as on the Mac side where the onboard
> will be "Ethernet" and then any additional cards will be something
> like "Ethernet Slot B1" and so on.

.... err, unless you change to a 2.4.x kernel. I noted on this list how the
new kernel numbered the internal Ethernet driver on my 9600 after the Tulip
card - exactly the opposite to the case with the 2.2.x kernel. There's no
substitute for checking the boot messages before defining the interface IP
addresses!

  Iain