Re: external modem PPP on 8600

Subject: Re: external modem PPP on 8600
From: Barry Sparenborg (barrys@jorsm.com)
Date: Sun Mar 25 2001 - 16:12:04 MST

on 3/25/2001 2:25 PM, Michael Tucker at mtucker@eecs.harvard.edu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have am trying to get PPP working and have had little luck. I've
> played with netcfg, kPPP, and tried the scripts from the PPP howto and
> have ended up no further than I started. It's possible that the settings
> for the different "ppp's" are conflicting, I'm not experienced enought to
> really tell. But, in any case, this is what happens:
>
> I fire up the connection with netcfg (or ppp-on) and it dials up and logs
> me on properly. When I look at ifconfig it looks like ppp0 is working
> properly (although netcfg refers to it as ppp1). route -n returns three
> entries, the first is the address of the PPP server, gateway 0.0.0.0, the
> second is my loopback and the third is 0.0.0.0, gateway address of my PPP
> server. This looks correct to me (with the exception of default being
> replaced with 0.0.0.0), but when I try to ping my PPP server's IP address
> I get nothing back.
>
> This is YDL 1.2CS running on an 8600/200 with an external USR 33.6k
> Sportster modem. Any ideas as to what could be going wrong? The really
> bizarre thing is that intermittently I have been able to telnet out to IP
> addresses, but I have never gotten DNS working!
>
> TIA,
> Mike

check your /etc/sysconfig/network
your entry for gateway parameters should be:
GATEWAY=
GATEWAYDEV=

and make sure option "defaultroute" be in your /etc/ppp/options file.

As far as DNS goes: Check your /etc/resolv.conf
should be somthing like: (of course substitute your ISP DNS numbers for
mine)
nameserver 207.112.128.2
nameserver 207.112.128.132

to see what is really going on when ppp starts:

type:
tail -f /var/log/messages
this will list messages that ppp among others are sending to that file
ther is a lot of helpfull info here
CONTROL z will get back to the command prompt

--
Barry & Terri Sparenborg
Email barrys@jorsm.com