atalk configuration problems

Subject: atalk configuration problems
From: Dennis Staiger (dnsstaiger@gmx.ch)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 09:31:44 MST

I'd like to get an AppleTalk connection using Ethernet between a
PowerMac7600 running YDL 1.2.1 (using Asante Fast 10/100 PCI Card) and an
old PowerBook G3.
I am using a CROSSED ethernet cable, because I am connecting to computers
directly without a hup or something else. Is this o.k?

I get the following errors in /var/log/messages after booting:

atalkd: socket: Invalid argument
atalkd: socket: Invalid argument
atalkd: atalkd: can't get interfaces, exiting.
atalkd: atalkd: startup failed
atalkd: afpd startup succeeded
afpd[850]: main: atp_open : Invalid argument
afpd[850]: ASIP started on 192.168.1.27:548(0) (1.4b2+asun2.1.3)
kernel: NET4: AppleTalk 0.18 for Linux NET4.0

Someone in this list mentioned, that these error messages occur, if
appletalk is not compiled into the kernel nor loaded as module. The last
line in the /var/log/messages file above results from manually loading the
module using

   insmod appletalk

How can I get this module loaded everytime at startup (init 3), so that it
is loaded before atalk? Is this the mistake in my configuration or could
there be another problem?

ifconfig shows eth0 and I can ping to IP address it is using, so I think the
ethernet card should be set up correctly.

Thanks for your support.

Dennis

--
Mr.