configuring an ftp server

Subject: configuring an ftp server
From: Dennis Staiger (dnsstaiger@gmx.ch)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 09:47:00 MST

I am trying to set up an ftp server under YDL 1.2.1
I installed proftpd as rpm from the YDL 1.2.1 disk and I configured my
network in the way you can see at the end of this message. In a first step,
I wanted to connect a PowerBook directly to the Linux fileserver using a
ethernet cable (I used a crossed one, because I connected only two machines
directly, right?).
On the linux machine,

ftp localhost and
ftp linuxpc

worked fine, but pinging the Powerbook failed as well as pinging the linux
machine from the mac (ftp from the laptop to the linux machine did not work
either). The linux machine is a PowerMac 7600/132 with a pci ethernet card
from Asante.

Well, I actually was not sure how to set up the PowerBook. I tried it with
the following settings:

in the TCP/IP control panel:
Connection : ethernet
using 802.3 : not checked
configuration : manually
IP-Adress: 192.168.1.23
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
router address: <left blank>
name server address: 192.168.1.27
domain name: private.net

Further, I deactivated AppleTalk.
The Linux machine was configured as follows:

in /etc/HOSTNAME:
linuxpc.private.net

in /etc/networks:
loopback 127.0.0.0
localnet 192.168.1.0

in /etc/resolv.conf:
domain private.net
search private.net
nameserver 192.168.1.27

in /etc/sysconfig/network:
NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=no
HOSTNAME=linuxpc.private.net
GATEWAYDEV=
GATEWAY=

in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:
DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=192.168.1.27
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
GATEWAY=none
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none

Any advice on what is going wrong? Thanks for your help.
Dennis

--
Mr.
Dennis Staiger