kernel compiles funny...

Subject: kernel compiles funny...
From: Michael Tucker (mtucker@eecs.harvard.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 26 2001 - 22:31:42 MST

hi,

  I just downloaded YDL a few days ago which came with kernel 2.2.17, but
something very strange occurred when I rebuilt the kernel. It now claims
to be 2.2.15, and suddenly I am having lots of strange problems. For
example, previously pppd would run, now however, it says that the kerenl
does not support it (even though I didn't touch support for it in the
kernel settings). I have tried rebuilding with xconfig as well as a plain
menuconfig, but neither makes 2.2.17. Should I just download a newer
kernel and build that or is this indicative of a larger problem?

Thanks,
Mike