Server, ftp, ping all failing

Subject: Server, ftp, ping all failing
From: Charles Eggers (ceggers@solitonresearch.com)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 14:33:52 MST

Hi, all -

I'm pretty much a newbie at this so am requesting a little guidance
to debug a problem on my PM7300 (w/Newer G3 upgrade) running YDL CS
1.2.1 using a static IP address. Aside from the upgraded CPU, a
second SCSI drive, and some extra memory, the machine is stock Apple.

For some reason, after some undetermined amount of time after booting
I am suddenly unable to download web pages from the server, ping,
telnet, or make an ftp connection. Everything has been fine for
several weeks until about two days ago, and all I've been doing on it
java development and web page testing. Rebooting solves the problem
-- for a while.

Can someone recommend a systematic way to debug something like this?
I.e., what diagnostic tools are available, what do I look for, etc.
Is there some process that I can hit with a HUP or something like
that? (Actually, I tried that with inetd with no change resulting.)

Thanks in advance -
Chuck

--
Charles E. Eggers, President