Re: Server, ftp, ping all failing

Subject: Re: Server, ftp, ping all failing
From: Charles Eggers (ceggers@home.com)
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 15:43:56 MST

>on 29/3/01 10:33 pm, Charles Eggers at ceggers@solitonresearch.com wrote:
>
>> For some reason, after some undetermined amount of time after booting
>> I am suddenly unable to download web pages from the server, ping,
>> telnet, or make an ftp connection. Everything has been fine for
>> several weeks until about two days ago, and all I've been doing on it
>> java development and web page testing. Rebooting solves the problem
>> -- for a while.
>>

>Have you tried comparing output from the "route" command before and after
>the problem?
>
>Is DNS crashing?
>
>I'm no great expert but I'd check these.
>
> Iain

I appreciate any help at all! route shows what I'm guessing is
normal stuff (similar to netstat -nr), but I'll keep an eye on it.
Right now everything is working OK because I rebooted earlier, but
I'm expecting it to go south sometime.

I forgot to mention that I was able do a trivial ftp and web page
download from the same machine using localhost when I was unable to
get in from another machine (SGI O2, in this case).

Thanks -
Chuck